Sunday, December 18, 2011

Renovation Won

After struggling with the question of whether to restore the hardwood floor in the kitchen or lay tile, taking various opinions and advice, and weighing financial pros and cons, it ultimately came down to my father's (the only weekend helper) decision. In true Gus-ism his verdict was, "No way. No how."

Save me!

Don't get the impression I didn't try. I had conceded to the 'restoration' aspect and was prepared to spend the weekend compromising my lung tissue to chemical strippers.  My truck was even filled with all sorts of scrapers, gloves, and masks. It just wasn't meant to be. She was too far gone. What Gus and I thought was a single layer of vinyl tile adhesive (recall the black goo?) was actually tarpaper laid over two more layers of vinyl tile and linoleum sheet. We would never have been able to finish this weekend...

So those are my excuses and because I am Type A-, the vision for Plan B was some sort of rustic, stone tiles. These 8"x12" beauties from Floor and Decor Outlets passed the style (and wallet) test. If I ever find the time I will post some inspiration pictures and pieces...


Coming unglued.


Peacock Slate

Some of the tiles are still unglued and we're still on Advil and bourbon, but the weekend was a giant reno leap and I'm happy with the decision. Besides there's plenty of freaking floors left to sand. 

Archimedes at work.

 Oh yeah, critter tally passed the funny point. Let's just say the budget now includes a new oven...

2 comments:

Lucia said...

I so wish I lived closer so I could help out with renovations! I love that sort of stuff. The tiles are looking fantabulous!

Trading Up said...

That would be great! I could use the help--my schedule is crazy right now trying to get the bulk of the work done in the next 10 (gasp!) days.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Comments